Stefanie Gargano

Stefanie Gargano
UConn School of Medicine MD candidate class of 2015

I am a third year medical student, going into ob/gyn, originally from Branford, CT. I attended Branford High school where I developed a keen interest in the sciences. I graduated from high school in 2005 and enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania majoring in health and societies, an interdisciplinary major combining biology, anthropology, sociology, and public health.  I really loved my public health classes and while I enjoyed science I wasn’t positive I was ready to commit to medical school.

In the summer between my junior and senior year I got an internship through the public health department working at a medical clinic in Honduras. While there I had the opportunity to work in the triage room as well as work with the doctors who were volunteering. It was there that I realized that I loved medicine. I was amazed at the things the doctors were able to do, the knowledge they had, and the way they were able to use it to help people and make a real difference in their lives. I graduated from college in 2009 and had not taken any pre med classes so, I applied to the UConn post bac program. I was enrolled in the program from 2010-2011.

I was then accepted into the UConn Medical Class of 2015. As a third year medical student, I am so happy with my decision. Both post bac and medical school have been very challenging but equally rewarding. Becoming a doctor is truly an honor and a privilege. I am so thankful for the UConn post bac program for giving me the foundation and stepping stones to become a great physician.